It’s my favorite day of the year: my birthday! August 14th, man, what a day. Usually, I celebrate this auspicious occasion with a list of reasons why I’m grateful, or happy, or excited about the year to come, but this year I’m just going to lay down some random statements, throw in some life goals, and top it all off with a selfie. Hold on to your hats, ladies and gentlemen, here we go!
1. I’ve been writing a novel for almost two years now. This is the year I finish it. (Maybe. Hopefully.)
2. Isn’t it weird that on your 27th birthday, you’ve actually already completed your 27th year alive? I think that’s weird.
3. I’ve never been particularly fashionable, but I do spend a fair amount of time choosing what to wear, and it’s often anxiety-inducing. Not anymore, guys. This is the year I go for broke. I think the four pairs of silk pants (in varying degrees of loud patterns) that I recently acquired will pair nicely with my vast selection of Harry Potter-themed shirts and emo band t-shirts.
4. Atticus Rex is the coolest kid on the block. This year he’ll probably start walking and talking and that is just mind-blowing. #luckiestmomever
5. Oh, hey, speaking of moms: big shout-out to my mama on this the day of my birth! Thanks for building me and bringing me earthside, Mom, I appreciate it more this year than ever before. (No thank yous for my dad who brought flu germs into the delivery room, potentially endangering my life. Good work, Dad.)
6. Jordan took today off so that we could take Atti to the lake as a family! What a guy! He’s really embraced this whole dad thing. It suits him, too. My favorite part of the day is when Atticus wakes up and immediately makes a beeline for Dad in bed to grab his beard (his way of telling him how much he loves him, I think.)
7. I’ve been breastfeeding for almost 9 months now. Good work, me.
8. This year I’m going to amp up my social activities. Atti and I already have a standing weekly play date with new friends, but I’m going to try to take him to more group activities at the library and such. Seeing as it appears he’s an extrovert, I guess I should step my game up. #forthechildren
9. I’m also going to eat more vegetables. Seeing as I don’t eat any now (Vegetarian of the Year) it shouldn’t be too hard.
10. Overall, I expect this year to bring huge changes, immeasurable fun, and daily adventure. And I can’t wait. 😀